Thursday, April 4, 2013

April 3, 2013

I finished the 11th square today. I sat on the covered porch/deck and knitted while watching the streets be sprayed with oil to seal them for the summer months. The temperature right now is 100 degrees outside, yet I didn't find it too hot. It is very quiet on the street, though, with the spraying and the heat keeping most people inside or gone from the park. Christy and I really like sitting outside, so I will continue to do it for as long as possible.

Square 11
Miniature Mosaic
This pattern demonstrates the nubby Garter Stitch type of fabric that results when the wrong-side rows of a Mosaic Pattern are knitted instead of purled. On such wrong-side rows, the yarn is naturally held in back of the work, in knitting position; therefore it must be brought forward between the needle points before slipping each slip-stitch wyif (with yarn in front), and returned to the back again, to knitting position, after each slip-stitch has been slipped.

April 4, 2013
Bruce's University of Kentucky quilt is finished. I stitched the last stitch a few moments ago and now I can mail it to him. I am so excited that I want to mail it today, but the quilting group meets here tomorrow and I want to show the finished project to them. They have been encouraging me all along and would be disappointed not to see it before mailing. So one more day and then off to my son.

This quilt is a king size. I sat and scooted around the table while I stitched the binding. It was so much easier than holding the whole quilt in my lap. This way it stayed up off the floor and lay flat as I stitched.

Diagonal view

Lower right corner.

Lower left corner


Close-up of upper left corner

It is finished and ready to mail to Bruce, my son.
I also finished another square for the Learn-to-Knit Afghan.

Square 12
Harlequin
Harlequin is a pattern of contrasting diamonds, very good for socks, vests, and pillows.

Steve has been busy installing a "swamp cooler" in our bedroom. It will blow moist air down the hallway and out through a vent he will install later in the front room. This will help against the dry heat of the desert until it gets too hot. Then the air conditioner will be used. But until then the swamp cooler will help keep us cool, allow the doors to remain open, and keep electric costs down.

No comments:

Post a Comment