Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Last Few Days



March 31, 2013
Square 10
Diagonal Chain
This is an easy mosaic pattern of diagonal stripes, each stripe bearing dots of its opposite color.

April 1, 2013
I received a call from the quilter, Hilda Reck, that Bruce's U of K quilt was completed and that I could pick it up. Excitement abounding, I met her and introduced her to Steve. We were both VERY pleased with her work. And that's no April's Fool. The long-arm quilting machine did an excellent job saving me many hours and much frustration. The quilt was due to be picked up on May 4th, so getting it early was a real treat. Now I still need to hand-sew the binding in place, which I will do tomorrow - at least start it.

Just before meeting Hilda, I mailed the four purses to my girls, so they are on their way to Kentucky.

Steve's Mom's sister and brother-in-law arrived yesterday. Uncle Jim and Aunt Leila live in Washington and they "snow bird" during the winter in Palm Springs. They are on their way back home but will spend a couple weeks close to us first. We went to dinner last night and will share a belated Easter dinner tomorrow night.

April 2, 2013
Today I will be hand-sewing the binding on Bruce's quilt. I have all morning to do this, so I will not be chatting for a while. I will also be baking the ham and sweet potatoes for this evenings Easter dinner with family.

Made a lot of progress on the quilt. I finished one long side of the quilt. Still three sides to finish. The ham is baking and I am knitting while I wait to do the basting.

As you can see, this quilt is long. It covers two of those crafting tables.

I began on the lower left corner of the quilt to hand sew the binding. I mitered the corner. The solid blue is the backing of the quilt folded back onto the top/front of the quilt.

Hand-sewing the binding from the front toward the back.


Clear view of the machine quilting shown on the backing. Also see how the binding will finish the edges.

The finished binding from the front of the quilt. The words "University of Kentucky" run along the edges.

I have completed the binding along one long edge of the quilt.

I'm a "happy camper" - literally!!

Had a wonderful time with Steve's family this evening. We shared dinner together and then played a game of Pegs. Uncle Jim makes the game board and the pegs. The game is played like "Sorry" but without dice. We use two decks of cards instead. Steve and I had played the game with his parents but not as partners. We played partners tonight. Steve and his Aunt were partners and they won. Uncle Jim gave us the game board and pegs to keep. We are so thankful because we were going to ask him to make us a game and was willing to pay for it. But now we have the game as a gift. Isn't family wonderful?

No comments:

Post a Comment