Thursday, July 25, 2013

July 25, 2013

Today I started the Learn-To-Crochet Afghan by crocheting the first Block. I am calling these afghan parts "blocks" rather than "squares" since I called them that for the knitted afghan I just completed. Just makes it easier for me to identify, that's all. If you will remember, I am using the information found in the book Crochet Your Way by Gloria Tracy and Susan Levin. I borrow almost all my information for making, designing, and teaching these blocks from them.

This afghan only requires 20 blocks instead of the 63 squares the other afghan needed. Each of these crocheted blocks measures 13" X 13", so they are quite a bit larger than the previous knitted ones. I was not sure if I could complete one block daily since they are larger, but voila I can. Here is the first one. The colors are gorgeous and the patterns very nice.

Block 1
Single Crochet and Variations
I really like crocheting. The stitches, if counted correctly each row, are usually very clean, neat, and give a finished look when done. It seems strange to be using a crochet hook rather than a knitting needle since I've not crocheted for a while. I find that I hold the hook in my right hand just like I hold my knitting needle in that same hand. But I hold the yarn in my left hand when crocheting and keep the skeins of yarn to my left rather than my right when I knit.

Each block edge is finished as part of completing the block. Not so with the knitted squares. I like this. Each of these crocheted blocks will teach crocheting techniques and stitches starting with the single crochet and advancing through more difficult patterns with each consecutive block.

Single crochet is the perfect beginning because it is one of the most commonly used of all crochet stitches. It can be used alone as the body of a project; as a decorative join; as a one or two-row edging; or as the base stitch for other edgings in crochet, knitting, or other types of needlework. 
This section displays Single Crochet stitches.
Additionally, in this block we learn three simple techniques that change the appearance of single crochet stitches. Three chains in the middle of every fourth stitch form a neat little picot bump; 
This section displays the Picot Single Crochet stitches.
working into the back loop only of each stitch forms a little ledge or "front porch" across the front of the work; 
This section displays Front Porch Pattern stitches.
and working alternately into the back loop and front loop creates an interesting surface texture.
This section displays Alternating Front and Back Porch Pattern stitches.
Although I'm working every stitch in this block in a variation of single crochet, each of these variations can easily be used to create a similar effect when worked with another stitch.

When making the three stitch variations in Block 1, don't think of them as techniques to be used only with Single Crochet stitches but as variations that can be used on all crochet stitches. They are tools you will tuck away in your crochet took kit to use over and over any time you want that particular effect. Just as knowledge of many tools serves a carpenter, the more crochet tools you know how to use, the more likely you are to create a finished product that is exactly what you had in mind.

One or more rows of single crochet picots may be inserted as a decorative element with any stitch. A few rows make a great divider to separate broader bands of color or stitches. In this block, the rows of picots were separated with one row of single crochet, but any stitch maybe used. For instance, you could broaden the stitch pattern by using a row of double single or half double stitches between the single crochet picot rows. Or you could form a lacy open effect by placing tall stitches between the rows.

Picot single crochet rows make an effective design feature at a cuff, neck, or hat band, or they may form an allover pattern. The picots may be offset by placing the loops of the second row of picots between the loops of the first row as designed on this block, or they may be placed above each other to form a grid effect. They may also be positioned more closely or spaced farther apart to achieve other effects.

This same variety is true of stitches worked into the front and back. They may be offset or formed in a grid, and you may work into the back or front loops of any stitch.

Okay. That's it for today. I'm putting the hook aside and will now find something else to do to relax a little. My shoulders are complaining. Ha! Time for dinner and a movie. Maybe a loooooonnnngggg talk with my honey, who is still on the road for a few more days.

No comments:

Post a Comment