Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Ta-daaah! All the Squares are completed for the knitting class.

July 19, 2013

I went to The Spinster today for the Potluck. I had a wonderful time meeting new ladies from the Saturday group and saying hello to all the ones from my group on Wednesday. After asking permission from each one, I took pictures of my new friends to match to their names in my phone. Now I can begin to learn their names easier. Here are a few photos that capture the event.

Robin, the owner, is standing in the back wearing green.

This is a potluck, but after all we DO come to knit.

 I was sitting between Isabel, the one on the left in the photo above and Bev, the one on the right in the photo below.



I also purchased two new books - one for designing and one for small crochet projects. With all the books on sale for 20% off, I couldn't resist.
1.  The Knitting Stitch Bible by Maria Parry-Jones (The essential illustrated reference. Over 250 traditional and contemporary stitches photographed with easy-to-follow charts.)
2.  Clever Crocheted Accessories edited by Brett Bara (25 Quick Weekend Projects)

July 20, 2013

Square 59 completed. I worked on this one all day long, picking it up and putting it down while doing lots of other chores and activities. But I finally finished it. This square was not difficult to knit, just a little boring. I also found it challenging to get each dip the same length. When the pattern says, "draw a loose loop through", it becomes necessary to make each loop "loose". My first few rows were tighter than was best for the pattern. By the time I got the hang of pulling through loose loops, I'm not sure it made any difference. When I first started this square I was impressed with how pretty this pattern would be in a border row. So I captured this in the following photos.

One pattern repeat

Closeup of the above photo

One and one-half pattern repeat

Closeup of above photo


Square 59
Dip-Stitch Check
The color difference from the above photos is due to the lighting. The above photos better reflect the genuine colors.
Dip Stitches are usually, but not always, either passed over or worked together with the next stitch on the needle. In other dip-stitch patterns, the extra loops are sometimes treated as increases. When working Dip Stitches, it is necessary to draw through long, loose loops so that the fabric will not be pinched by them.

I am now 90% finished with the Learn-To-Knit Afghan Squares. Only four more to go...

July 21, 2013

Square 60
Short-Row Stripes
Short rows are extremely useful in garment shaping. With the turns placed 4 or 5 stitches apart, for instance, they make the best way of forming a shoulder slope. They are used in shaping the heels in a pair of socks. Also when curves are needed for darts at the breast, short rows can be used. Short rows use a technique called "Wrap & Turn". To prevent leaving a hole in the knitting whenever working a short-row turn, do it like this: holding the yarn to the right side of the work, slip the next unworked stitch temporarily in order to pass the yarn around this stitch to the wrong side; then replace the unworked stitch on its original needle and turn the work around. The "wrapped portion" is later picked up on the return knitting.

Four down...three to go!

July 22, 2013

Square 61
Parquet Squares
Picking up stitches is a way of making a firm join, without sewing, between two pieces of knitting worked in different directions. It is used in garments to begin neckbands, borders, button bands and sometimes sleeves. It's important to know how to pick up stitches evenly and neatly, as almost every project in knitting involves a little of this technique somewhere.

Three down.....2 to go!!

July 23, 2013

Square 62
Decreasing Seamless Square
(Stockinette Stitch)
This square uses a circular needle and then double-pointed needles when the stitches get too few to stretch on the circular. A very good project for teaching the use of both.

The Decreasing Seamless Square is a good design for mats, bags, pillows and potholders; it also illustrates the basic technique used in knitting a raglan yoke from the bottom up. Usually, for a raglan yoke, the double decreases are made every other round. But in this case they are made on 5 rounds out of 8 (i.e., Rounds 1, 3, 4, 5, and 7) because a square of Stockinette Stitch will lie flatter when the double decreases are so spaced.

Notice that in circular knitting a Stockinette Stitch fabric is created by knitting every round. There is no purling. This applies equally to flat seamless pieces like this square, and to tubular pieces like seamless socks, sweaters and hats.

This square started from the outer edge and decreased to the center. The next square will start in the center and increase outward to the edges.

Two down...1 to go!!!

July 24, 2013

I started the last square last night really hoping to finish it, but alas, I couldn't. So I finished it first thing this morning before driving to The Spinster to spend the day knitting with the Weds. Purls group. <turning cartwheels>

Square 63
Increasing Seamless Square
(Garter Stitch)


The Increasing Seamless Square has the same uses as the Decreasing Seamless Square. Its obvious advantage is that its final size does not have to be planned in advance; the knitter can simply keep working round after round until the square has grown to the desired dimensions. This Garter Stitch version illustrates the basic technique for kitting a seamless raglan yoke from the neck down, with the customary rate of increasing 2 stitches at each corner every other round.

Notice that in circular knitting a Garter Stitch fabric is created by knitting one round and purling the next. This applies to any seamless circular knitting, flat or tubular. Like anything worked in Garter Stitch, this Seamless Square lies flat and requires little or no pressing. Not so with Square 62.

I will put this project away for now until September when the snowbirds return to Bullhead City and the knitting class can be started. I still need to type all the pattern instructions, techniques, and resources needed.

I also now will start the Squares for the Learn-To-Crochet Afghan because I will be starting that class this Fall, too. There aren't as many blocks so I will have ample time to complete them before September, too.

I finished the first scarf for the 5th Mystery Project while I was "sitting & knitting" at The Spinster. I have started the second one but will work on it more slowly.

Garter Stitch Scarf
These mystery projects are allowing me to use the many one-skein yarns I have. I am slowly but steadily using them all and finishing projects that do not require much time, are easy to knit or crochet, and will be nice gifts to give away.

I also met Kate Woody today. She teaches knitting at the Community College. Or at least she did. She now meets on Monday mornings in Bullhead City with a group of ladies that I haven't met yet. So I asked her to send me the group information, which she agreed to do.

I want to start working on my designs again, so I am setting aside Monday for that. Tuesday will be The Needler's meeting, which will shortly be teaching how to knit and crochet. Wednesday I will sit & knit with the group in Kingman. Thursday and Friday are dedicated to quilting. So I am going to be quite busy. Saturday is shopping and meal preparations. So I have decided to knit Prayer Shawls on Sunday. Of course, all this is apt to change at a moment or a whim. But for now it works for me.

Now I am going to relax. I will sit down and study my teaching materials for crocheting and then probably make an early evening with a movie before retiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment