Monday, June 3, 2013

June is busy and it's only three days in!

June 1, 2013

Hooray!!!!! Vickie's quilt is ready for the quilter. I finished the binding strip and purchased a Queen-size flat sheet for the backing. I have an appointment with Hilda, the quilter, tomorrow. She will put the pieces together and quilt everything with her long-arm quilting machine. I'm grinning from ear to ear.

165 inches of red 2.5" strip for binding the quilt

The Queen-size flat sheet for the backing and the binding strip folded for easy attachment
June 2, 2013
Today my mother celebrated her 80th birthday. She and I talked on the phone for an hour or so with her telling me all about her party that was held yesterday for her and other home news. My sister, Sharon, gave her a wonderful party, which three of her five children were able to attend.

Party attendees are singing happy birthday to  Mom


I also delivered Vickie's quilt to the quilter. Soon I will be sending her the finished project. I had hoped to take a photo of Hilda, the quilter, but I forgot. Didn't think about it again until I arrived home. Drats!

I bought a new knitting pattern last Wednesday while at The Spinster called Petals Vest. I liked the unusual pattern design and can use the cotton yarn I have been storing for some time.  There are 18 petals that surround the body starting at the front, rotating around the back and then joining at the front on the other side.


Petal 1 of 18 completed


I also finished another square for the Learn-to-Knit Afghan.

Square 29
Leaning Stripe


This striped fabric is very dense, as you can tell by the relatively large number of stitches required to make the square, so it is good for knitting warm and windproof garments. I personally don't like this pattern. I didn't enjoy knitting this square and was very glad to be done with it.

June 3, 2013

Hot outside today but windy making it okay to sit on the deck and knit. I am currently knitting Square 30. While I was sitting and knitting, a hummingbird decided to visit me. She is only 2-inches long from her long beak tip to the end of her tail feathers. So I named her Digit. She was very curious about what I was doing and hovered around in front of me checking out my activity. Then she began chattering and finally went to the feeder and ate. She perched on the railing next to the feeder and proceeded to watch me further while chattering. I talked to her and told her I was happy she was feeding from my feeder and that I was happy she wanted to visit. She left but returned and repeated the process again. I think I have a new friend.




This is Digit.

She is only 2-inches long.


Instead of leaving like the other hummingbirds do, she has decided to visit for a while by perching on the wire next to the feeder and inside the awning over the deck.



She sat watching me and then started chattering. She flew under the awning and around where I was sitting to observe what I was doing. I couldn't capture any photos because she moved too fast and the focus was too dark.




She decided to feed again.


Then she flew back to her perch rather than fly to another place.


Again she is watching me and chattering. Smile!

A close up of Digit. She really let me get closer to her than I would have thought. 
Cute isn't she? So now I have a dog, Christy and a bird, Digit to keep me company while I work on my projects. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment