Friday, August 16, 2013

August 16, 2013

Today is Steve's son, Alan's, 35th birthday. Happy Birthday Alan! Dad and I love you.

I finished Block 14 today but only after much re-doing and re-doing and re-doing. The Triple Tucks Stitch pattern isn't difficult once it is done correctly, but I just couldn't seem to figure out the pattern. The first time I crocheted the pattern repeat rows I only followed the written directions. I didn't bother reading the beginning paragraphs or look at the chart. As I followed the written directions, I actually did crochet the pattern correctly, but it looked wrong to me. It looked like I did everything backward. I pulled out the yarn and decided to follow the chart. The chart was very confusing because this particular pattern requires a technique I had never seen before, which I obviously didn't understand either. So once again, I pulled out all the stitches. I started again crocheting the same way I had the first time but still didn't quite get it. It wasn't until I read the beginning paragraphs describing the various stitches in this block that I read "folding a row of treble stitches in half and working a row of single crochet to join them. Ah-haa! So I pulled out the stitches again and folded the row in half. Oh no, I was still backwards. So I pulled out the stitches again all the way to the beginning of this section, and this time I got it right. After that, it was not so bad and the rest of the block finished much more quickly.

This pattern gives three more easy variations to add to my crochet tool kit. They will give my projects interest and variety. I basically used Single Crochet Stitches throughout except for the bothersome section, which required Treble Crochet Stitches, to allow for enough length to fold in half.

Block 14
More Single Crochet Variations
 It was the section in the middle with the teal colored yarn that caused me so much difficulty. It is actually quite pretty.

The section displays the Granite Stitch Pattern
 The Granite Stitch pattern is a one-row pattern that alternates Single Crochet and Chains. It is fast and easy and gives an almost woven effect.

This multi-color yarn section displays the Trinity Stitch pattern.
The Trinity Stitch patter is formed by working three Single Crochet Stitches together with the outside legs sharing the same base stitch.

Triple Tucks Stitches
Triple Tucks are formed by folding a row of Treble Crochet Stitches in half and working a row of Single Crochet Stitches to join them. Not a simple process that can be done without some help explaining the process.

This is the top section of the same block. It looks good at first glance, but if you were to study the first photo above you would see that the patterns are reversed. The block starts with a section of Granite Stitch Pattern followed by the Trinity Stitch Pattern with the Triple Tucks Pattern in the center. All the other blocks, thus far, have balanced both sides the same. However, this block continued with another section of Granite Stitches rather than the Trinity Pattern. At first I thought I had, once again, crocheted the patterns incorrectly, but when I checked the pattern directions and the chart, I found that this was by design. Not sure why!
The Granite Pattern gives a slight zigzag effect as you change from one color to another. It is a good choice for a project with gradual color changes since zigzag lines would diffuse the color change even more. This pattern is a neat, tidy little stitch. It is wonderful for trim, collars, and cuffs and also makes a handsome allover pattern stitch.

Experiment with working the Trinity Pattern with a Double Single, Half Double, or Half Elmore for a jacket or sweater. Longer stitches would be effective for an evening wrap or afghan. The Trinity Pattern works well with multicolors.

Triple Tucks has a lot of depth so it would form an excellent edging to complement a pattern with depth or an attractive contrast to a flat stitch pattern. It would also make a soft and cozy throw rug.

Glad this block is finished. I'm ready to rest...Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment