Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Filet Crocheted Names for the Family

Another block completed. These last few blocks are more complicated and thus are requiring longer time to complete. But completed it is.

Block 11
Picots, Puffs, Popcorns, and Bobbles Stitches
 Gathering stitches together to form bumps of varying size gives interesting surface texture to your work. Although the stitches look complicated, they are quite easy and satisfying to work.

The bone color yarn displays Picot Stitches (lower row) and Puff Stitches (upper two rows showing various sizes).

The wine color yarn displays the Bobble Stitches of varying sizes.

The teal color yarn displays the Popcorn Stitches, again of varying sizes.
Picots were used in the first block that was crocheted - Single Crochet Block. Bobbles, Popcorns, and Puffs are other types of "bumps" made of multi stitches, but they usually have their base in the same stitch, space, or chain.

There are no specifics for the number of stitches that are used to make these interesting stitches. As with so much in crochet, personal preference can make each project unique.

Experiment with adding bumps and bobbles to any existing pattern that looks a little flat. The additional surface interest will change the entire look of the project.

Bobbles and Popcorns can easily be attached to the surface of purchased items or to a finished handmade crocheted or knitted garment. If the gauge is too tight to insert your crochet hook, simply embroider a line of stem stitches where you want your bumps and insert your hook into these stitches.

Experiment with other stitches and the number of legs to see what other variations are possible.

A group of bumps could become balloons with embroidered strings on a child's afghan or sweater.

On an adult project, a group of bumps could become a cluster of grapes or cherries with crocheted or embroidered leaves.

Okay, that's it for today. Now I will start the next block - Block 12 - Filet Crochet. I made several of these when I crocheted each family member's last name for a Christmas gift one year.

My birth family name, which is used by my parents and my two brothers. I crocheted two of these - one for each brother, James and Ron. My parents already had one crocheted for them by a friend, which is where I got the idea.

My married family name, which is used by Steve and I,  Steve's parents, and his one brother. I crocheted two of these - one for my in-laws (Chuck and Jeannine) and one for my brother-in-law (Robert & Shelley).

This is my best friend since sophomores in high school, Donna Probst. I crocheted this for her and her husband Paul.

Steve and I served with a ministry called Equipping The Saints for five years. The directors Keith and Jan Jones were wonderful friends. I crocheted this for them before we left their ministry to join Amazing Grace full-time on the road in our motor coach bus.

This is my sister Rita. I crocheted this for her and her husband Carroll.

This is my sister Sharon. I crocheted this for her and her husband Jerry.

I crocheted this for my sister-in-law Debbie and her husband Randy.
I also crocheted SCHULTZ for my "first set" of in-laws, Eddie and Norma Schultz.

See ya later...

No comments:

Post a Comment