Sunday, August 11, 2013

August 9, 2013

I went to The Spinster last Wednesday and started another Mystery Project - Amelia Earhart Aviator Cap. I don't like this style of hat but I had some stash yarn and the time, so I made it. I actually ran out of yarn and used some from another stash skein. So the hat is yellow with a dark blue section. But that's okay. I don't intend to wear the hat. I just gained more experience working with short rows and shaping a hat. That's always good.

Pattern Photo

My project. This shape hat never looks good on me. I need more floppy designs.
BTW - This hat counted as my 100th project posted on Ravelry. That's an accomplishment in itself, too.

Now on to another block...


August 11. 2013

Finally I finished Block 10. I kept redoing several rows because I couldn't get the count right. Finally, I figured it out and finishing went quickly.

Block 10
Fans and Vees

Bone color yarn displays the FanCee Vees Stitch

Wine color yarn displays the Solid Shells Stitch.

Multi and Teal color yarns display the Open Shells Stitch.
In this block only three of the almost infinite variety of stitch patterns that can be formed by using fans and fees. Both fans, often called shells, and vees are formed by working multiple stitches into the same base stitch.

The FanCee Vees in the block are formed by separating each shell with a Chain Stitch. The Solid Shells are made by working sets of five Double Crochet stitches into the same base stitch separated by a Single Crochet, which serves to spread the fan open. In the Open Shells pattern, the fans are given a more open look by working five Double Crochet stitches into a chain-three space.

This versatile stitch technique has been a favorite of crocheters for years. It is handsome as an allover pattern in both home decor and wearables and equally popular as an edging.  The height of the row repeat in fans, shells, and vees patterns may be controlled by the choice of stitch used.

I have completed 50% of the required blocks for the Learn-to-Crochet Afghan pattern. It is all downhill now.

No comments:

Post a Comment