Thursday, October 4, 2012

October 4, 2012

Funny night. Busy, too! I was knitting all throughout my dreaming. Imagine that, since I knit four long rows of Fair Isle just before going to bed. I guess my brain just couldn't stop the "knitting process".

I checked my dehydrating fruit that I left to dry overnight and found that I had made my first rollups. Both the raspberries and the kiwi had dried nicely. I wrapped the rollups in plastic wrap and put both them and the kiwi in separate plastic bags. I like my new dehydrator and plan to use it frequently to dry fresh produce while in season. Storage takes less space than canned or frozen produce.

Today I am taking a new class at The Fiber Factory. This class will be teach how to make "unmentionables" aka underwear. I haven't seen the pattern yet but will get it once I start class. Yesterday I bought a book called Romantic Style by Jennie Atkinson. This book contains lots of patterns for fancy, feminine wear. I had seen one particular pattern for a dressing gown that I wanted to make. I didn't buy the book when I first saw it and then later I couldn't find it when I decided to get it. Well yesterday I saw it again. There was only one book left on the shelf and I knew I was to buy it before it disappeared again. There are also some patterns for underwear in it and I was hoping to get some ideas for what to expect in today's class. I have 500 yd. of beautiful pink cashmere silk that I hope to use for this new project. Not sure if it is the correct yarn weight for the pattern but I am taking it with me to see.

Now I will take a shower and hopefully still have time to knit at least one row of the Fair Isle Pullover before time to leave for the class.
_________________________________________________________________________________

I was able to complete 1 1/2 rows before I left for class. Hooray! Now only 3 1/2 to go. That should be easy enough between appointments.

I have 500 yards of some pink cashmere silk that I am hoping will work for this pattern I will be learning today.  I needed to search the Internet to get the information about the yarn - what size needle to use, etc. It is a lovely worsted weight called Classic Elite Yarns Posh Prints made in Italy. The yarn was given to me from several friends. We each received one skein from a shop we visited while doing a  "yarn crawl". This is when several of us get together and tour several shops we want to visit. This shop was in northern Arizona called Knit 1 Bead 2 in Jerome, AZ. We also visited the knitting shops in Sedona and Flagstaff during that "crawl". Anyway, three of the ladies didn't want their skein and gave each to me, making four skeins each with 125 yd of yarn, thus 500 yds. I have not found a pattern in which to use this yarn thus far and so I'm hoping today will be the day. I chose the appropriate needles (size 8) and am prepared for class.
_________________________________________________________________________________

I was not able to use my yarn. If I only wanted to make the panties I would have enough but not if I want to make a bra, too. So I chose a different yarn. I will use the pink cashmere/silk for a chemise or something else that's real pretty. My needles won't work either, so I borrowed the correct ones from the shop. I will return them tomorrow after I get home and transfer my work to my own needles.

My class was wonderful. I am on my way to knitting a pair of panties in a beautiful navy DK weight bamboo/wool yarn by Sirdar (Snuggly Baby Bamboo). The pattern calls for 400 yards. It is yummy soft. The first part of the class was spent taking measurements to configure the total stitches needed to cast on for each individual size. Danielle, the instructor, showed me how to do a long-tail cast on using two needles instead of one. Then the swatch had to be knit in order to determine the gauge for the pattern and to determine which needle size to use. My gauge is 6 stitches per inch using a size 6 needle in a stockinette stitch. I needed to cast on 125 stitches for the front. After that, I cast on the needed stitches and proceeded to knit the waistband for the front of the panties. The casing for the elastic is knitted as a hem, then the rest of the panties are knitted to the other end where the casing for the elastic is then bound off. I love the yarn and hope my measurements are correct because I want to be able to wear these when I am done. The panties are knitted in once piece starting with the front, decreasing with short rows through the crotch and then increasing to finish the back. The diagram of the pattern looks like an hour-glass. I put another 4 skeins of the yarn on hold just in case there is enough time to knit a bra to match the panties. I wanted to make sure the yarn matched.

Right now I am quickly knitting the waistband casing for the required 1 1/2 inches so I can transfer the borrowed needles from the shop to my own. This means I will probably not finish the required 3 1/2 rows needed for today's quota on the Fair Isle Pullover. That's okay. I have most of tomorrow free, except for one class, and I will knit the rest of today's and tomorrow's quota together. Whew!!!! I knew I was going to need to dove-tail. This is one of those times.
_________________________________________________________________________________

KaTie Jackson, my friend and knitting buddy from church, and I are going to visit Jessica Knits & Crochets tonight. They are starting a charity knit once a month and both of us are interested to hear the details. KaTie likes to knit blankets and this charity is called The Linus Project. The knitted blankets and squares for making blankets are donated to seriously ill and traumatized children.

Well, KaTie just called. She just had a tooth pulled so we won't be going to the knit shop tonight. That's okay. The meetings for this charity work will be held the first Thursday of each month, so we will try again for next month. That means I will actually be able to continue knitting tonight and maybe even finish all of my quota for today. I told KaTie I would come by her home for a little while in case she needs anything. I will take my knitting and we will knit and watch TV together for a couple hours. How's that for fluidity? Still get a night of fun with my friend.

Well more changes...KaTie was feeling worse than she thought and decided to go to bed. So I will stay home and knit more rows for my quota. Still a nice ending to a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment