Monday, October 31, 2016

Still Posting Patterns

I am taking a little break from the actual knitting of the Tank Top. I decided to go ahead and type the patterns for two other scarves I designed earlier. The one I posted for sale on Ravelry today is an I-cord design. I originally made it for my grand-daughter Emma.

I wanted to make a scarf using a very thick yarn that equals one stitch per inch. I couldn't find a yarn thick enough at the local yarn shop, so I made an I-cord from a #4 worsted weight yarn and then used the I-cord to knit the scarf.

This was really neat because I could make a length of I-cord and knit the scarf at the same time. When the scarf was as long as I wanted it, I stopped making I-cord. Cool, huh?

I made one skein of yarn (182 yards) into I-cord and then measured how many yards of I-cord I had. One skein gave me 3 yards and 6 inches of I-cord. By the time I completed knitting the scarf, I had used 6 skeins of yarn, which made 19 yards of I-cord.

 I like the thick look and the ability to wrap the scarf several times, or not.
 Here I'm making the I-cord using 2 double pointed needles, Size 11.
 This shows you how the scarf can be knitted while at the same time making the I-cord.
The scarf was knit on 2 straight needles, Size 35.

So that's it for right now. I have another scarf pattern to publish and I want to do that today, too.



Well, I'm back. I finished publishing the second pattern for today. This pattern is unique because it is my FIRST attempt at designing my own pattern. I used three colors (pink, burgundy, and yellow) for the stain glass, navy for the lead casing, and white for the total background of the scarf.

The yarn is a 4-ply #4 worsted weight 100% cotton by Peaches & Cream. It is one of my most favorite yarns. I use it all the time for making dish/facial cloths. I was given the yarn and decided to use it for my FIRST efforts at designing. I wanted something that wouldn't be expensive and something that would feel soft around the neck.
I knit the scarf in a garter stitch (knitted on both sides) because I wanted both sides to look the same, making it also reversible. But I think the stain-glass effect may have looked nicer with a stockinette stitch (knitted on one side, purled on the other side). You tell me. What do you think?
I am pleased with this FIRST attempt of mine to design my own patterns. I charted the colors and then wrote out the directions for each row. I find using charts easier than the written instructions, most times.

Using the Intarsia technique (knitting pictures), a stained-glass design is created. Bobbins holding the different colors are used to help with the exchanging of colors. The design starts at one end of the scarf and then is repeated in reverse at the other end of the scarf.

I called this pattern Lattice Stained Glass Scarf.


This shows the bobbins that are holding the different color yarns as they are interchanged to make the stained-glass lattice design.


This is the chart on graph paper I used to design the lattice.

In Progress
The finished scarf

Ta da!!! The scarf works great.

Now I have three more designs in my mind. I drew them so I wouldn't forget them. Here they are for another day and other projects.


So that's it for today. I'm going back to knitting the Sample for the Tank Top I've designed. Bye!


No comments:

Post a Comment