Monday, January 9, 2012

Head full of thoughts,,,

Amazing how this blog is consuming my thoughts. I have not been able to stop thinking about it. Why is that I wonder? Excitement? Worry? Too many ideas floating around waiting to be released by expression? Whatever it is, it is happening to me.

I sent out 45 emails last night announcing this blog to some of my family and friends. Amazingly, I already have 5 followers. Whoa, that is heady. Gotta be careful here. I don't want pride to become an issue . You know, like becoming a rock star and needing to deal with all that publicity and pressure from the press. Ha, what a dilemma that would be. Imagine how that would interfere with knitting and crocheting time. I would be forced to rearrange my carefully designed schedule I explained to you yesterday. Well, I will leave all of those possibilities to the future and deal with them then.

Now on to more pressing thoughts...
I will not be working on my design today. I will be sewing and doing laundry. You remember, the other tasks in my busy schedule. But after dinner, I will continue knitting the current gift project. Those gift projects should remain unnamed because, obviously, they will be gifts to someone and that someone might just be reading this blog and then know what gift they are getting. Or maybe they wouldn't get the gift after reading about it and be disappointed. Then how sad that would be. But, on the other hand, the gifts I like to make are ones that I consider unusual or a challenge and I want to discuss those. So....what to do? Well, let me just say that this particular gift project is quite an unusual one; one I never expected to knit. It is also very functional, which is why I chose to knit it. It is quick. It uses my stash yarn, which is always good. It is the same but can be made to look different in many ways. That means there are many patterns for the same item. I can make lots of them and not one of them look the same. Well, I suppose that could be said about anything (like sweaters) I knit. This gift is a covering for something that can be hot or cold, depending on the situation. It also protects against the body. Can you guess what it is? If you do, then I will share the secret of this gift's identity on this blog.

Another thought related to the current working design...
I did find out that it is possible to insert an image, so I will give that a try when I figure out how to do it. I think for this first design that I will explain the process, so if any followers want to use this pattern they can. It would be great feedback for me to know if I am explaining the steps and details sufficiently to enable others to follow the directions and actually get the same results as I - a finished garment. This would also help as a backup should I lose the originals for any reason.

Also I am bothered by doubts - as to whether this design is too simple, maybe it isn't designer material, I am not good enough to design, no one will like it, and blah...blah...blah. There now I feel better. The thoughts are put down and can be left alone.

By the way - here is the link to this pattern I have posted on Ravelry. (http://ravel.me/dteresasimmons/stab)
3-Stitch Twisted Rib Pattern

Shell showing the Twigs & Bobbles Lace Pattern
PATTERN NAME:     TWIGS AND BOBBLES SHELL (based on the lace panel stitches)

TOOLS
Knitting needles sizes 3 and 6
Stitch Markers - 2 (to mark the 16 stitches needed for the Lace Panel Stitches)

YARN
Any medium weight yarn. (On a scale of 1 to 6, this would be a 3) Also know as DK (double knit); Light Worsted. It provides a gauge of 21-24 stitches to a 4" swatch knit in stockinette stitch. Needles ranging from sizes 5 to 7 can be used. I am using Plymouth Yarn Linen Isle. It is made in Brazil and is 50% Cotton, 30% Rayon, and 20% Linen. Linen is made from flax, which is a plant and I keep finding bits of the plant fibers still woven into the yarn. I just pull out the stuff when I find it. This yarn is machine washable, which is great since I don't like to use the dry cleaners if I don't need to.

Estimated Yardage = 912 yards of yarn. I used a Sweater Wizard program to help me with most, well actually all, of the computations for this pattern. Since my chosen yarn has 86 yards on each skein, I will be using 11 skeins of yarn. Since I have 12 skeins altogether, I will have what I need to complete this project.

GAUGE
The gauge helps me determine how many stitches I knit on the chosen needles. I knit a 25 stitch X 12 row swatch then measured how many stitches fit into an inch both ways. The gauge equals 5.5 stitches 7.5 rows per 1". Then I used the Sweater Wizard to determine the measurements for a Size 38 bust measurement, which is basically a size 12 or Medium size for women. This measurement includes the ease needed for easy movement within the garment, which in this case = two additional inches.

CHART
Most patterns require a chart as well as the written instructions to allow users to read and see the stitches. Sweater Wizard computed a chart for me, but I will actually design the charts I want later on graph paper once the shell is completed, meaning all necessary changes will have been made and noted. I have all my own pencil drawings and notes, too; but no one will probably see those but me. Later, when the pattern is complete and the garment made, there will be a photo of it to accompany the pattern, too.

ABBREVIATIONS
CO - cast on
st - stitch
sts - stitches
stst - stockinette stitches (knit one side, purl the other side)
k - knit
p - purl
tbl - through the back loop
rep - repeat
estab - establish
pat - pattern
rws - rows
inc - increase
x - times
pm - place marker
yf - yarn forward
tog - together
sl - slip
psso - pass slipped stitch over
alt - alternate

PATTERNS
RIB PATTERN - 3 STITCH TWISTED RIB (multiple of 5 + 2)
Row 1 (wrong side): k2, * p3, k2; rep from * to end.
Row 2: p2, * C3 (Cross 3 - see below), p2; rep from * to end.
Rep these 2 rws.

C3 (Cross 3) = Knit into front of 3rd st on needle, then knit 1st st in usual way slipping this st off needle. Now knit 2nd st in usual way, slipping 2nd & 3rd sts off needle tog.

EYELET TWIGS & BOBBLES LACE PANEL STITCHES (worked over 16 sts on a bkgrnd of stst)
Row 1(right side): k2, yf, k3tog, yf, k3, yf, sl 1, k2tog, psso, yf, k5.
Row 2 and every alt row: Purl.
Row 3: k1, yf, k3tog, yf, k5, yf, sl 1, k2tog, psso, yf, k4.
Row 5: MB (make bobble - see below), k5, yf, k3tog, yf, k1, yf, sl 1, k2tog, psso, yf, k3.
Row 7: k5, yf, k3tog, yf, k3, yf, sl 1, k2tog, psso, yf, k2.
Row 9: k4, yf, k3tog, yf, k5, yf, sl 1, k2tog, psso, yf, MB.
Row 11: k3, yf, k3tog, yf, k1, yf, sl 1, k2tog, psso, yf, k6.
Row 12: Purl.
Rep these 12 rows.

MB (make bobble) = Knit into front, back and front of next st, turn and k3, turn and p3, turn and k3, turn and sl 1, k2tog, psso. Bobble completed.

DIRECTIONS
FRONT
1.  With size 3 needles, CO 107 sts using a k st CO.
2.  (Wrong side): Tbl [k2, * p3, k2; rep from * to end.]
3.  Estab rib pat on Row 2. Work 20 rws. [3"]
4.  On row 21 [k8, inc 1 in next st] 11x, k8. (118 sts)
5. (Right side): with size 6 needles, k51, pm, row 1 lace pat, pm, k51.
6.  Work in lace pat until piece measures 15". [row ???]

Okay, that is as far as I have gotten with my directions for this pattern. If you want to knit-along, I would enjoy your company. If you just want to knit this shell to check for errors and then send back corrections and feedback, I would really appreciate that. If you just want to read because you are interested, I would feel quite loved by you. If you want to quit this blog altogether because I lost you back with all the details, then I will understand and send you off with a sweet goodbye.

Until next time...
Teresa, the wishful knitter

1 comment:

  1. I think it is a hot water bottle cover...tried to leave a comment the other day but don't think it posted. Don't know if this one will either

    ReplyDelete