Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Life's Many Changing Stitches That Create the Patterns of our Lives

Well, today could have started like most days in my life, or at least recent days. The sun came up. The temp was cool from the previous night and I felt good after sleeping well. Steve left early around 4:30 am to take a group somewhere in the state. But today was not like other recent days because Steve did something that may change the entire direction of our lives. He submitted two of three applications to drive the tour buses in Alaska this summer. Is that a new pattern stitch that will be knitted into my makeup?

I find that I have some rather strong reactions to this news. Lots and lots of questions keep rolling around in my mind. Do I want to go to Alaska? What will I do in Alaska? Do we go for a short visit or will this be where I die at the end of the rest of my life? Isn't it really cold in Alaska? Where will we live? Can we afford it? If we give up the job here, can we come back to it, assuming we do come back? After the summer tour season, then what? Will I have time to knit if required to work, also? Can we take all of our household belongings? Does it all go into storage? Ect. Ect. Etc.

I found myself degenerating into a mental, mumbling mess. I decided to let go and leave all of the decisions in God's hands for determining whether we go or not. Then off to Bible Study Fellowship, which started meeting again after the Christmas break. Amazingly and so like God, what we studied and discussed today applied directly to what I was currently experiencing. Paul, the apostle was moving from place to place doing what God wanted him to do. He was constantly "hit with uncertainty", too. But God kept giving Paul direction and many times encouragement to enable him to continue. Paul just kept going and trusted God to take care of the details. Well, I was encouraged and realized that I, too, needed to place that same kind of trust in God. I admit to you that it is not an easy thing for me to do. Even later this evening when Steve and I discussed the subject again, I found myself "riled up" inside and had to "step back" again. But if I am going to really trust God to direct us, then I need to prove it by letting Him do His job. Will God open a door for us to enter and not go with us? Of course not. Will He direct us to go to Alaska and then not prepare the way or provide for what we need? Of course not. So I will rest in His ability and stop fretting about this. Instead I think I will choose to see this as an adventure. And look at me, even now....we haven't been accepted and I have made a big fuss about nothing. So, it stops here. There it is stopped. See I am not discussing it any further. <GRIN>

I spent my afternoon knitting the Shell. I was able to make a lot of progress on it. The directions I have typed so far direct me to knit until the Shell measures 15 inches. When I stopped today, the piece measured 9.75 inches. While I was knitting, I was considering whether I want the lace panel to be on the back of the Shell. The more I knit it, the more I think I will leave the back plain with just the stockinette stitch and only use the lace panel down the middle of the front of the Shell. I am just not sure I like the idea of the Bobbles against the back when leaning against something. Know what I mean? But to give myself some extra input, I am planning to take it with me tomorrow when The Needlers meet. I also have some friends driving down from Prescott Valley to visit with me and meet the other members of the group. I will show them what I have done and see what their thoughts are for a lace panel in the back. Changing the piece I am knitting right now is possible at this stage of the pattern. Both the front and back are knit the same (unless I leave the panel off the back) until shaping the neckline begins. Since I am not at that place in the pattern yet, I can easily change the piece I am now knitting from calling it the back and make it the front. I will get back to you later once I have further input and make my decision.

While I was knitting, I thought of another design for a short-sleeve pullover that would be knit with contrasts of black and white and maybe use buttons that are red. I set aside the Shell and drew the design on a piece of paper in order to capture it before it became a disappearing thought that I couldn't remember later no matter how hard I tried.

With that done, I continued knitting the Shell until Steve arrived home. We went to dinner at the Sugar Bowl, a very popular restaurant in Scottsdale that has been featured in the daily comic strip "The Family Circle". Our apartment complex provided us coupons for two free sandwiches, which we thoroughly enjoyed. Steve has gone to bed and I am going to watch some TV and continue knitting the current gift project.

Catch you again in the next posting...
Teresa, the wishful knitter

1 comment:

  1. Darling, I love your narrative style of writing - you capture more than just knitting - you clearly relate "life as a knitter". And as I'm sure all knitters do, you ponder life as you knit ("wishful knitting"!) and share that wonderful part of yourself too. I "see" you. It's so fun to watch your thoughts and dreams become words on paper. And to know that others can "see" you to thrills my heart. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete