Sunday, March 24, 2013

March 23, 2013

I must start this blog with a great big Happy Birthday to my oldest granddaughter, Rachel. She is 19-years old today. I was there when she was born. Today she is in college at Western Kentucky University. Time has flown.

I left on the 20th to drive to Lake Havasu City, AZ to meet Steve after he finished the tour to Phoenix, AZ that day. Early (and I mean early) the next morning we picked-up a group of singles and carried them to Palm Springs, CA for a two-day tour. I really enjoyed being with Steve and the group he was carrying were delightful. I took my knitting with me and was able to complete three additional squares for the Learn-To-Knit Afghan. Some squares I really enjoy knitting. Some I dislike. The 5th square was not enjoyable for me at all. I don't mind knitting ribbing but this particular pattern was a diagonal, which means the stitches shifted one every fourth row. Either the directions were incorrect or my stitches were. I re-knitted rows 9-16 several times and I'm positive that I didn't get it correct still. But I went ahead and finished the square and it is what it is. I may change my attitude later and redo it. Especially if it continues to look wrong to me and mars the looks of the finished afghan.


Square 3
Basketweave
Basketweave is a classic fabric for all kinds of knitted articles. It doesn't curl, looks very attractive, and is easy to work.

Square 4
Lattice with Seed Stitch
Between the vertical knit ribs and the horizontal purled welts in this pattern there are blocks of Seed Stitch, a popular basic knit-purl fabric created by a "k1, p1" that reverses on every row. Like Garter Stitch, Seed Stitch will not curl and is useful for borders.

Square 5
Diagonal Ribbing
There is no specified right or wrong side for this pattern, because it looks the same on both sides, except for one circumstance that appears, at first glance, very curious indeed. On the side that has the odd numbered rows, the diagonal ribs slant upward to the left. Flip the knitted square over and you will see that on the even-numbered side the diagonal ribs slant upward to the right.

Diagonal Ribbing makes a pretty variation on the conventional k2, p2 ribbing usually seen in sweater borders. It may be used also for an entire garment.

No comments:

Post a Comment