Tuesday, March 5, 2013

March 4, 2013

Hooray! The quilt has been delivered to Hilda Reck for the final quilting on her long professional quilting machine. It was really neat to meet her and to see where she lives. She has her commercial long-quilting machine set-up in her garage with a large cutting table and lots of storage shelves. Because she has several projects current and pending for the "snow birds", who want their projects done before they return to their homes between now and the end of April, she probably won't have mine ready until May 4th. So it will be a while before I can surprise Bruce with his gift.

She explained several neat items for me.
1.  Push - don't pull the border fabric through the sewing machine when stitching it to the top. Reason: the fabric stretches otherwise and then bunches when quilted. She said I did a beautiful job and she didn't expect any problems with mine.
2.  The different brands of batting. She showed me several she would never use. Then I explained I only liked the natural fibers. She recommended Quilter's Dream Cotton that can be ordered online. They carry the 100% cotton and also 100% wool, which either can be ordered in varying weights and sizes. She also said that JoAnn's carries Warm & Natural, which is a comparable brand and doesn't need to be ordered.

Went to JoAnn's and got the batting I will need to make the purses.

Carolyn (her and Nancy went with me to my first guild meeting) came by so I could assist her in completing another microwave bowl holder. She finished one and the second one didn't look right to her. We fixed it and drew the measurements for the darts on a third one.

I finished the Sasha skirt with the exception of the elastic in the waistband. I will finish that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment