Friday, March 8, 2013

March 8, 2013

Yesterday I went to the Bullhead City Quilter's Guild workshop. The project for making was called the Sunset Runner. I previously purchased the fabric but knew my choices were wrong the moment I saw the finished table runners displayed. The object of the design is to showcase the center with dark fabrics and to edge the sides with light fabrics. In choosing the jelly roll and charm pack that I did, I matched colors rather than darks and lights. So I stitched the charm pack squares together to form the borders and then went to JoAnn's Fabrics & Crafts afterwards and purchased different fabrics for my center. Because the border squares were all prints, I chose only solid colors for the center. I finished sewing the center strips together and then attached the borders. Not as pretty as the design pattern, (my opinion), but still a very presentable (and different) runner for this pattern. Truly, whatever is created is fine because there are no specific rules that apply. As long as I like it, that's all that matters. I can use whatever colors, fabrics and changes to any design, because I am making it. It is really amazing to see how one pattern looks so different with all the choices made by each maker. One MAIN lesson I am learning is to purchase only the colors that I like, not necessarily what the pattern design requires. That is true for yarn in knitting and crocheting, too. Finishing a project that I don't like is too expensive.

As you can see, the colors in the center are also in the border squares. The borders go from darker colors to the lighter ones, so I reversed the center panel by placing the darker colors in the center. Today I will prepare the batting and the backing, hoping to attach both. I will cut-out the binding and maybe get it sewn on today, too. There is an appliqué that is sewn on opposite sides at each end of the edging. I hope to get that cut-out and attached, too. May be too much for one day. Especially since Steve will be arriving soon after the quilting group ends. He will be here for five hours and then leave again. So probably, this project will still takes several days before completion. That's okay!

While I was still at the guild workshop, I went ahead and started one purse after I finished the squares for the table runner. I learned how to make the fabric/batting tubes and stitch them together. This is a gorgeous design. I bought jelly rolls for each one, but I really prefer the way I saw two other purses quilted by two guild quilters. They cut their strips from matching fabrics, not from jelly rolls. Then they used the strips in a light to dark pattern (one design) and with matching handles and pockets. My designs will be good, too; but not the same. My strips are color coordinated and will blend beautifully. When I am done with the four already prepared for sewing, I think I will make one for myself using the dark to light design. We'll see.

The fabric and batting are folded to the centers and then stitched to form a tube. Then each tube is zigzagged to another one until a solid rectangle is formed.  

I just asked the ladies in my quilting group which appliqué method they would recommend for my stem and leaves on the table runner. Should I appliqué then quilt, or should I quilt and then appliqué? The overall consensus was to appliqué first and then quilt. Although as I stated above I can do whatever I want. The reason to appliqué first is that the stitching won't show on the backside when the quilting is finished. So that is the next step. Here is what the table runner looks like with the pinned appliqué attached.


Now to the stitching... No wait, Steve just arrived. All goes on hold NOW!!!!!!
Such a wonderful visitation with Steve. Just too short. Too late today to do any further sewing. Will sit and knit. <grin>


No comments:

Post a Comment